MMBlog

Saturday, February 07, 2015

Quiet Strength


Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices & Priorities of a Winning LifeQuiet Strength: The Principles, Practices & Priorities of a Winning Life by Tony Dungy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another one read over a period of time. My step-father gave me this one some 4 1/2 years ago when I left to go overseas to teach, and I have finally finished it.
Student papers and things get in the way, too.
Super Bowl-winning coach Tony Dungy and Nathan Whitaker weave the football and Dungy's strong religious belief together very nicely. It takes a pro to be able to do that effectively.
The content flows better than a fine-tuned offense in its finest game. I got various things out of it, and did sign up for Dungy's online All Pro Dads Internet feed. A few extra words of knowledge and experience can never hurt.
Dungy's coaching strikes me as similar to some of the best coaches I have covered in my sports writing days. Just do correctly what you are supposed to do.
A lot like "simplify, execute, and win."
I think it is inescapable to miss the part from 2005 when Dungy lost his oldest son to suicide. It is a very deep section, and one that might help others deal with close personal loss. This book supersedes football there, and might be worth keeping on the bookshelf for a long time for whenever such events happen.
I am glad I read it, and with it had not taken me so long.
The last lines are thought-provoking.
"We are all role models to someone in the world, and we can all have an impact -- for good."



View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home