MMBlog

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

What the Best College Teachers Do


What the Best College Teachers DoWhat the Best College Teachers Do by Ken Bain
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I took four long, enjoyable years to read Ken Bain's What the Best College Teachers Do.

I toyed with it, and tried to absorb it as best I could picking up former boss Sean Chadwell's discarded copy on a table after he left Texas A&M International University.

Finally, facing another fall semester at United International College, I decided to go ahead and finish it. I even enjoyed the epilogue. It was also interesting to learn that Bain and I almost crossed paths in Edinburgh, Texas where he taught shortly after I left.

I found usable material early on p. 31 with Questions are Crucial. It has been a regular first thing handout in my classes since.

I have to recommend this one for anyone teaching anything, anywhere. It was written, primarily, with students in the U.S., but is general enough to help those working overseas, or with foreign students, too.

View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home