MMBlog

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

The Last Bus To Albuquerque by Lewis Grizzard

 


Lewis Grizzard was an author/columnist with a sense of timing like the greatest of comedians. He was that in print.

Unfortunately, we lost him on March 20, 1994, when I was still writing sports in San Antonio. A lot of people noticed his passing. He had been a very effective, folksy Southern writer until heart problems claimed him in his late 40s. I still believe I can learn from him.

A younger person once told me he didn't want to read anything from a dead author. I was somewhat shocked but remembered that sometimes it takes a while to learn. Grizzard was definitely good enough to keep teaching by example long after his passing. I read his book for humor and education.

I started reading a copy back in Texas before madly charging off to China to teach for six years. I believe I unwisely stashed my Last Bus edition with some other books left to a fledgling Laredo bookstore. I found this copy in a Goodwill store here in Georgia. I finally let myself finish it just a few minutes ago.

Lewis Grizzard will always be great on a daily basis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home