MMBlog

Saturday, April 03, 2021

On Writing by Stephen King



 Very different from most books. It was sort of like hanging out with Steve.

Each writer whether they write novels or just school papers, will likely pull their own lessons from it, and become better for it. He was writing about the craft in this, and not out to write another best-selling novel, eventual movie. King wrote that he does not ain primarily for commercial gain, but for the love of a smooth art piece.

A few of my main takeaways:

1) "You may wonder where plot is in all of this. The answer -- my answer, anyway -- is nowhere. I won't try to convince you that I've never plotted any more than I'd try to convince you that I've never told a lie, but I do both as infrequently as possible. I distrust plot for two reasons: first, because our lives are largely plotless, even when you add all in all our reasonable precautions and careful planning; and second, because I believe plotting and the spontaneity of real creation aren't compatible." 

2) On narrative art, he warns: "The harder you try to be clear and simple, the more you will learn about the complexity of our American dialect. It be slippery, precious; aye, it be very slippery, indeed. Practice the art, always reminding yourself that your job is to say what you see, and then get on with your story."

3) "Well-crafted dialogue will indicate if a character is smart or dumb, honest or dishonest, amusing or an old sobersides. Good dialogue is a delight to read, but bad dialogue is deadly." He notes Graham Greene, Peter Straub and George V. Higgins as authors who demonstrate excellent dialogue.

4) With profanity, he sees it cutting two ways: "You must tell the truth if your dialogue is to have resonance and realism. As it happens, I agree with my mother: profanity and vulgarity is the language of the ignorant and verbally challenged. Mostly, that is: there are exceptions, including profane aphorisms of great color and vitality."

This book, and other work was temporarily shelved in the late 1990s when he was hit by a van driven by a man with a very long police record for driving violations. King also hit the constant reading rule all top authors recommend with several lists toward the end of books he's read. It was impressive enough to make me consider what I will read next, and think of those I have never finished. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home