MMBlog

Monday, April 12, 2021

The Coast Watchers

 


My dad loaned it to me just long enough to read, and no wonder he wanted it back. It's a fast page-turner with its own real-life tension. Could you do what they did? Hide behind enemy lines 24/7 and radio their movements.

Only a very few brave souls did. 

I think it's one reason I've always had a fascination with that end of the world. McHale's Navy probably helped, too. I have thoroughly intended to get there twice, but I am 0-2 in that quest.

It's all true, as far as we know. It was originally published in 1946, and well worth hunting down. I might even read it again.

I am constantly reminded of this book, binge-watching Australian-based Sea Patrol on Tubi. They frequently mention their modern-day coast watchers.

I read this in a hurry back in 1982, and still recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home