MMBlog

Saturday, June 25, 2022

Dream Station -- by Adeleine Keane

 



I had problems getting through this book because it was relaxing me, and putting me to sleep. It was that effective.


I haven't read poetry in a while, and it caught up to me quickly. Rhyme, word choice, pacing, and good spacing are all there in this single-author shorty. Many poetry books come as anthologies, but Adeleine Keane put a good one together here all by herself.


None of it was disappointing, but as it is in poetry, there were a few words meant to connect with much higher vocabularies. 


Keane started strong and didn't let up. Chimera is in the lead on p. 3, followed by W. Fred:


"Look upon ole, frolicking Fred,

skipping stones by the watershed

Where he finds joy in his chosen fad:

Not soured by fears of being slightly mad


Where he bends down by birch tree,

While other folks would, but flee;

To pull iron crow with childish glee

and with high hopes and plenty pursuit --


Whacks once, twice and three,

Then takes keen work to knee

To rustle up his world-famous gum,

Nice and thick -- wouldn't you agree?


And you could cook up your own gum;

Nice and thick -- and free"


I got my copy from a neighbor for my reading, and review.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home