MMBlog

Friday, February 04, 2022

Behind Nazi Lines -- by Andrew Gerow Hodges, Jr. and Denise George

 



That was a fast run. Behind Nazi Lines is speed reading. Short chapters, flawless writing and editing, and well-spaced content keep the pages turning. Lately, I see a lot more of this. Was Gabo An Irishman? moved along at a similar pace.

Yeah, this was essentially, a war book, but very refreshing in that the focus was on saving lives. Not taking them. 

At first, I thought this book was about 75 percent fact and the rest fiction. The acknowledgments, index, and notes say otherwise. They are worth reading. 

Several of the book's characters held a reunion in Alabama in 2002. Just in time to get interviews with several of the former POWs before they left us for good. There is also a 47-minute documentary -- For One English Officer -- with those interviews. I saw it on YouTube after reading the book. As usual, the book gives you more, but both work well together, too. I read the book in four sittings.

Apparently, prisoner exchanges were not a common practice, or idea, before American Red Cross representative Andrew Gerow Hodges got it going in France in 1944. He was behind three other exchanges before the war ended.

I found this gem almost by accident, or instinct, turning into the books aisle at Walmart. I had some preconceived ideas about it, and almost didn't read it, but decided not to totally waste my $9.24. It was no waste at all. I learned some things both in content, and book production. I might ask about similar production if and when my works in progress become full-fledged books. 

My journalism days taught me the value of word efficiency and Behind Nazi Lines re-emphasized it. I'm in my 60s and believe my college days are behind me, but if it were possible to take a writing or publishing course from co-author Denise George I would seriously look at it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home