MMBlog

Monday, February 13, 2023

Higher Is Waiting -- by Tyler Perry

 


Tyler Perry isn't rushing you, here. He lets you think and helps you think.

It was a pleasant read, and very personal -- for the reader. I found several points here that I could identify with. I appreciated that. A lot of forethought was put into the writing and layout. It glides along nicely, mixing autobiography, and careful reflection.

It is a bit religious, and preachy, and it hits those open spots in a reader's mind. It will not put you into the blues. Quite to the contrary.

Tyler Perry grew up in New Orleans, but not in a wonderful environment. His father Emmitt was abusive, and he persevered despite what he and his mother endured.

P. 50, In Nourishing The Roots, says plenty.
"Decades later, I look back on my mother's decisions, not through the lens of a child, but as a man with a family of his own, and as a man who has made his own share of mistakes. My life experience has helped me to understand why my mother stayed.
I know now that when a child is growing up, abusive voices echo loudly. I can still hear the damning things Emmitt said to me. Because of his cruelty, for many years, I didn't feel as if I deserved to be happy or successful. I didn't feel worthy because I hear his voice resonating in my head, telling me that I was nothing, that I was horrible, that I didn't deserve anything good in life. When you grow up being told those things every day, they take root in your subconscious and undermine every positive event in your life."

I'm glad my wife handed me this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home