MMBlog

Friday, July 25, 2008

You gotta read The Tecate Journals!


The Tecate Journals: Seventy Days on the Rio Grande The Tecate Journals: Seventy Days on the Rio Grande by Keith Bowden


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is one helluva book, and one a lot of people elsewhere should read. It flows faster than the river ever did.

I finished the second half of the book's 291 pages all in one day when classes were cancelled due to Hurricane Dolly. It had a habit of leaping back up into my hands: much like a friendly puppy. The difficulties Keith faced on his journey down the Rio Grande weren't always any friendly puppy, but I certainly don't regret giving the book to four people in various parts of the U.S. and Sweden. My mom liked it quite a bit, and I have to back up her claim, and not just because she's my mother.

The dangers one potentially faces along this "natural border" certainly can be a mother, but Keith's journey, and writing, should help draw attention to the river's needs. Easily, conservationists should be marching down to the Rio Grande en mass to clean it up, or have it done so. I hope Al Gore reads this book.

And, let's face it, Tecate should reward Mr. Bowden for all the free advertising they got, and will, from this book. My only next question is -- who's going to play him in the movie?

It's not Into the Wild, but there's potential for more things to spring from The Tecate Journals. Just read it. You'll know what I mean.

I really like this book, and I can say, smiling, "Hey, I know this guy!"


View all my reviews.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home